All Alone


This past week, I was dog sick. I don't know what happened, I guess just life. Surprisingly, people still get sick, and yes, I am human. It was a shocking day for me to find that out as well. It was a pretty bad sickness. Muscle aches, fatigue, severe sore throat, painful headache, and a fever. if you were wondering what I meant earlier by "Dog sick," now you know. I had some angels in my life. They came, blessed me, and nourished me. Golden. Shmee. Berlin. Mowgs. Mom. And all of the prayer said in my behalf.

Come Saturday morning, I felt better. I got in my car, started it, almost pulled out of the driveway before I realized what was going on. I was all alone in Cedar. Where was I going? It was in this moment that I realized why wolves travel in packs. Why super-heroes fight in tandems. Why Harry Potter is the best wizard. And why chat rooms still exist. Being alone sucks. I can't think of any other way to put it. People who say they like to be alone or like being a "lone wolf" are either: a) Full of crap, cause they've never been a lone wolf, and just want to look tough. b) Have no friends. c) Are crazy and want to be old. Cause that is what happens when your old. You become alone. Then you go crazy.

I hated it. I felt like I couldn't breath. My skin was itching. I went back into my house and saw all the things I could do. I even thought about all of the other stuff I could do. Nothing seemed appealing. It was all just busy work. Here is the truth, and by the way this is nothing new, humans need interaction. We need to have others around us, but more importantly we need friends. I know of no one that is happy that has zero friends. Besides Kobe Bryant. Even the weirdies out there need a friend. I do need to clarify, everyone needs a true friend.

I drove two and a half hours like a bat out of hell. I walked down that dock, saw that green boat filled with my friends, and I couldn't help but smile. From horseshoes, to football, to late night talks, to silly giggles, I love those men. We may not have it all together, but together we have it all... K now that I wrote that I am going to go look for the nearest fence post and slam my head into it. Who do I need to pay my royalties to for saying that? Gosh I am really upset that I typed that.

I recommend listening to Bill Withers' song Lean on Me.

No comments: