"You can feel the emotion..."

If you have listened to Reggie Miller commentate on a game, then you'll agree with me that you do not have to be consistent or good, to be an announcer. Look at Madden, you don't even have to be smart. What does it really take to be a sports broadcaster, cause from where I am sitting, all you have to do is play professionally. I haven't really noticed how bad Miller is in the NBA games, cause I am looking forward to the halftime show with Chuck (who in his own cute way is a complete fool), and Kobe is playing like a fiend. ESPN announcers are different, at least the ones who are running the Sportcenter show. Remember that reality TV show, where people tried out to be a ESPN anchor. That showed how difficult it really is to read the sports updates and be clever. Reading a teleprompter and sounding original is a task all on its own. ESPN anchors are clever, but most of them have never played a sport beyond high school, and to be honest, I think that is an advantage. Just because an individual played or coached at the next level, doesn't guarantee that they will be coherent on air: Bob Knight, Bill Walton, Sheryl Miler. They should team up ESPN boys with with Marv or Kenny. Going back to Reggie.


He is announcing the BYU game, (this is the most recent example I can think of) and in the first quarter he says, with his nasally voice, that a high tempo game would be an advantage for Florida.... Hold on. Doesn't Florida outsize BYU by a bazillion inches? A half court game is definitely in BYU's favor... No. That isn't how they have been playing all year. These boys run-n-gun. In the second half Miller rescinds his previous statement and says that a high tempo game would be an advantage for BYU. Duh, winning. His critic of Jimmer was fabulous. "He has got to get to the hoop, get in rhythm, and then get back to his shot. Just like I used to do. I was so damned good." (Millers head grew four inches as he talked about himself) Jimmer did what Reggie said,  then he started shooting again. He was taking the same stupid shots he has been taking ALL year and Reggie says, "These are not good looks." Reggie, this is his game. That is how the kid plays. Watch some highlights. Look at his stats.... Then when James F. buries a deep three to tie the game up, Miller loves it.

Coming outta nowhere, ADD moment: Then you have Craig Sager. Who is this clown? That is my only question. Then I will know why, when, how, and where.

Diametrically opposite is Verne Lundquist. The guy is a master. I remember listening to him every Saturday morning call SEC football games. He would could bring more color to a play then HD or a replay. He has the voice, emotion, everything you could want. You enjoy listening to him, you're not going to look for the mute button on the remote. Plus he has been on some movies. The only movie Reggie has been on is when Michael Jordan said, ""It's like chicken-fighting with a woman. His game is all this flopping-type thing. He weighs only 185 pounds, so you have to be careful, don't touch him, or it's a foul. On offense I use all my 215 pounds and just move him out. But he has his hands on you all the time, like a woman holding your waist. I just want to beat his hands off because it's illegal. It irritates me."

I have a feeling that the final four will have some fantastic commentating, if Miller isn't there. I've had enough of it. If Miller announces, I am going to e-mail CBS, NCAA, and TNT, and tell them that he has to go. I will mock him the entire game. Reggie is going to hear from me in some way. He should not announce the final four or championship games.

No comments: