Kobe 'Bean' Bryant

I have been a fan of Kobe Bryant for most of his illustrious career. I have to thank my older brothers for turning me on to him. I have loved watching him play. He made me a believer in the NBA and the Lakers. I love his drive, his will to win, his style of play, his tenacity, and his showmanship.

In the past few games (and much of the season), Kobe has put this Lakers team on his back. Earlier this year he made the promise that the Lakers would make the playoffs. So, naturally, a man who is 34 years of age, with a history of knee, wrist, and ankle injuries has been playing almost every single minute of every single game. Take a look at the stats splits below. Additionally, He played 48 mins against the Trailblazers (scored 47 points while shooting 51.9% from the field) two nights before playing the Warriors. I didn't see the game last night, but I saw the highlights today. I almost cried when I saw him limp of the court; He is my favorite player (despite his immoral and personal choices), and I was watching what could be potentially be a career ending injury.

SPLITSGPMPGFG%RPGAPGBLKPGSTPGPFPGPPG
Last 10 Games1043.5.4316.47.20.81.62.729.9
April645.2.4447.07.51.22.23.030.5

He is likely to be out 6-9 months for recovery and his body is worn out. He even thinks so. He went to Facebook and said, "Why the hell did this happen?!? Makes no damn sense. Now I'm supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that?? Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father TIme has defeated me... Than again maybe not!"

This isn't the first time Kobe has voiced his concern and seemed vulnerable (he was pre, but he has hinted that retirement this next year is a possibility, and this injury could certainly spur him on to calling it quits.    He is due to be paid $30M next season. That is quiet a bit of money for a guy who "can't walk". Bill Simmons suggested on twitter that the Lakers may amnesty Kobe. If the Lakers let Kobe go, they would have some serious cap space to rebuild this team. It would certainly speed up the process.

If the Lakers amnesty Kobe, I don't see him going to play some where else. Could last night really be his last night in a Lakers uniform? I hope not. I hope the Germans have something for him. At any rate, we are seeing the twilight years coming to an end for one of the most fierce and polarizing characters in sports - and that just bums me out.

No comments: