make sure she remembers...

The one piece of advise I was told over and over, when I would tell people I was going to ask Liz to marry me, was to make sure she would remember how I did it -- that it would be a great story. There are plenty of ways to make it memorable. I could've asked her in a trailer park. I could have just casually asked her when she was going into work one afternoon. I could have asked her while driving down the freeway, in my car without ac, going 90 miles an hour, blasting Rage Against the Machine. I could have done a lot of interesting and memorable things, but I knew I had to come up with some romantic.

.............something romantic..........

SO, I did the next best thing, I got on the internet to research the best way to ask the woman of your dreams to be yours (I'm so mushy right now). I typed "romantic proposals" into the google machine. I didn't find anything that really spoke to me. I tried "best proposal ideas either/or top ten best romantic movies". To my dismay, after two hours of reading I discovered that I had curated a list of pure cinematic garbage. It just seemed to cheapen our relationship, me pretending to be something I wasn't. I didn't want to take her on a scavenger hunt that would end with a trail of roses to her bed... where I would be laying covered in chocolate. I wanted it to be three things: 1) I have already made reference to this above, but it had to feel genuine and true to who we both were, what our relationship was 2) a surprise 3) memorable (in a good way).

Then it hit me. I was living just 45 mins south of one of the most iconic spots in the United States, the Golden Gate Bridge. I rolled my eyes that I hadn't thought of this sooner. I can be rather dense some times. So I scouted out the location. Asked a close friend and his wife to be there to photograph and video the memorable day.
I was nervous. I started sweating about two hours before Liz flew in. I said a prayer in my heart and hoped for the best. It turned out perfect... or damn near it. She arrived on time. Traffic wasn't nearly as bad as I predicted and the sun was just about to set when we arrived. It was awesome. I couldn't help but smile when we got down on the beach and saw this perfect setting. It couldn't have been better. Liz didn't see it coming. Her surprise took me by surprise. I stuttered through my speech that I had prepared. We both teared up. Hearts were full. I nailed #1-3. The rest of the night was pretty cool too. I took her to one of the best Italian Restaurants in San Francisco and then looked at the lights on the bay bridge.

I'm lucky that I have found such a good woman, one that I don't deserve. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Below is a little song that will help us immortalize that perfect night.

1 comment:

Christie said...

love it! love her! love this picture. so happy for you dave. she is great and i'm so happy to have her as a sister.