Real Vampires

A few months ago I decided I would donate blood through a drive put on by my church through the Red Cross. I don't think I had given blood since I was in high school and at the time I felt compelled to help another. The American Red Cross is experience major blood shortages - or so they say.

If you have never given blood just know that it's not a terrible experience, but it's not a great one either. You don't feel that awesome afterwards. They recommend drinking lots of water beforehand and eating healthy the day of.

In order to give your blood you have to fill out a survey that takes roughly 15 minutes. It is pretty exhaustive with questions ranging from where you have visited in the last 10 years to your sexual encounters. All for good reason - need to make sure you don't have risky blood.

They also take your vitals and prick your finger for some blood to do a test. I think to see what your white blood count is. Not sure. Its science. I went in again, just a few weeks ago, to donate. I had just come from work and hadn't been drinking water or eating healthy. I was also stressed. I failed the tests. My blood pressure was through the roof. We waited for a few minutes. I did some breathing exercises and we tried again - no go. They sent me away. I was halfway relieved. I don't like being stuck by needles.

Part of that survey is entering your mailing address and phone number. That might not seem like such a bad thing, but let me assure you, it is.

This past week I have been called E-V-E-R-Y single day by a Red Cross representative. They read the same script and ask me the same questions at the worst possible time. They aren't trying to annoy me, but they sure are. The first time I just hung up. I was at work and was in no mood to talk. The second time I was on a walk with my daughter and was like, "Nah, man." They don't stop at "Nahs". They want, they need, that blood. I don't know if they callers get paid on the number of appointments get filled, but they are thirsty for blood.

I'll donate again, but when I want to.


No comments: