Oops... I did it again.

During my freshman year of college, I dated this girl name Melissa. We had a lot of fun together. I really liked her. She was a really cool girl, but I had a problem with her. I just could not keep her name straight...

Right before Melissa I dated Michelle. We didn't date that long, at least it didn't feel like it, but she made a lasting impression on the side of my brain called Randy. Randy would prod me late at night to call Melissa Michelle. Call it a Freudian slip, call it an accident, it was getting out of control. I finally had to pause every time before I said Melissa's name, look at her, and ask myself, "What is her name?" I guess the "Mu" sound at the beginning of the names was too much for me too handle.

I thought I was over this little problem... until I started dating Brittany. One night we were having a serious talk. The kind of talk where if you say something dumb, the walls of Jericho are going to come tumbling down. During the conversation I was getting all close, trying to be sweet, then it happened. Randy makes me spit out an awkward, "Brryyynnnn." I trailed off on the end after I started to hit the "y". I was going for a "Britt" but I made the awful "y" sound.

It was bad. I felt so bad. It couldn't have come at a more inappropriate time. I almost wish she would've punched me in the face, that would have made me feel better. I will never live it down...

No comments: